Thursday, September 12, 2013

Goodbye Tooth! Dental Extraction for My Braces Treatment in Stouffville!

When someone thinks of a tooth extraction, they do everything to avoid it. However, in orthodontics it is not always a bad thing and can be a good thing in some situations!  In my case, Dr. Tam, my orthodontist at MCO Stouffville Orthodontics, explained that I needed an upper left premolar extracted for my upper midline shift. In my initial photos, you will see that the middle of my 2 front teeth is not aligned with my nose. It is almost a full tooth to the right. Extracting 1 of my upper left premolars will give space to shift over my teeth to the left to centre the midline.

I had a dental fear in the past, especially when it came to tooth extractions. It only takes one bad experience when you are younger to traumatize you. Most of the fear people have is because they don't understand or know what is really going on. It is important to find a dentist that makes you comfortable and explains things very well to you. My dentist I have had for 15 years now helped me with gaining confidence in dentistry and getting over my fear!  I had 4 wisdom teeth out when I was 19 and the experience was a very good one. So when it came to extracting 1 small tooth, I wasn't too worried.

My dentist made me very comfortable, gave me anaesthetic to freeze the whole tooth and within 2 minutes, it was out!!!!
Tooth #25!!!
The after-effect was very minimal. Soft foods for the remainder of the day and Advil for any discomfort as well as preventing inflammation. It was a little uncomfortable for the same day I got the tooth extracted, but then I didn't feel it at all!!! Another great experience!!! I'm excited to show off the progress photos on my next posting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment